This year marks 100 years since the discovery of a treatment that has saved millions of lives around the world – insulin.
For World Diabetes Day 2021, we're celebrating this incredible breakthrough and the century of life-changing diabetes discoveries it inspired. You can find out more about the research taking place here.
You can also take part in Diabetes UK's nailing it challenge – find out how to take part here.
This video outlines the signs and symptoms of type 1 and 2 diabetes to look out for.
You can utilise the resources below to support you manage your condition and get professional advice and guidance.
Diabetes UK resources:
- Helpline: Highly trained advisors provide specialist information and advice on all aspects of life with diabetes, whether you’re living with diabetes yourself, supporting a loved one, or worried about your risk. Call us on 0345 123 2399 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm) or email email@example.com for answers, support or just to talk to someone who knows about diabetes.
- Support Forum: Check out our support forum, an online community where you can chat to and share experiences with others living with and affected by diabetes. It's free to use, and there 24/7.
- Learning Zone: Join our free online Learning Zone for simple, practical information from diabetes experts –tailored to you. It covers a wide range of helpful topics, from the basics of diabetes management, food and exercise, to looking after your mental wellbeing.
- Eating with diabetes: The Enjoy Food section of our website has meal plans, expert diet advice, food swaps, and hundreds of healthy, family friendly recipes.
- Know your Risk: Encourage your loved ones to find out their risk of type 2 diabetes with our Know Your Risk tool. It only takes a few minutes and could make a huge difference to someone’s health.